Do you ever feel like you’re in a funk in your network marketing business? Well, you are not alone. This is felt by people at all levels: people starting out in their business all the way up to the highest levels, including some of high performers I coach, as well as myself. It comes from that all-too-common condition called “Being Human.”
Today I want to give you the prescription I give all of my clients, some of whom are making over half a million dollars, how to get through this and stay motivated..
Before we get into it, I think it is important to look at why we start to lose motivation and what happens.
- Your long-term goals may not feel as meaningful as they once were. Sometimes we come in as an underdog, and then we check that box off and we are no longer an underdog.
- We feel sucker-punched or gutted by the market; maybe a team member quits; maybe a string of things not going well happens.
- Not being good at something: I am not very motivated to do things where I might look foolish or silly, especially in my community with people I know or care about and their opinions of me.
- Distractions by all the different things that are out there. Sometimes I am more motivated to watch the next episode on Netflix than to go do something that matters in my business.
- Overwhelm and shut down due to analysis paralysis.
The first thing to do is to identify which one of these things is your trigger for a lack of motivation. Once you figure it out, you can call it what it is and move through it.
Recently, I was working with a client that I have coached for a while who was struggling with being motivated. I gave her a prescription for exactly what to do in order to stay motivated.
A few days later I checked in with her asking, “Is it working…?” And she responded, “Oh my gosh it is life-changing! I’m already duplicating it on my team. It is amazing!”
So I want to share the prescription with you for any lack of motivation in your business:
Create 3 wins per day in your business, no matter how big or how small
What I told her was to report back to me at the end of the day so that I could celebrate with her. I wasn’t trying to micromanage her, it was to support her in her 3 wins for the day, give her a high-five, and remind her she is not alone.
It worked! This was after just a few days, so we are going to go for 3 full weeks to see it goes. But she has already said this will be a life-long discipline.
Why does this simple prescription work so well?
According to Daniel Pink’s book, Drive, we are motivated by three things:
- Purpose – we want to be bigger than something bigger than ourselves.
- Autonomy – this is where money comes in. You are not motivated by money, necessarily, but motivated by the independence that money brings.
- Mastery – building skill, getting better and better at something.
Creating 3 wins aligns with all 3 of these things and here is how…
I had my client write down every time she encouraged someone or helped them which gave her a sense of fulfillment and purpose. It also aligned with her desire to be autonomous. I didn’t tell her to go out and do three things; I told her to create 3 wins in her business, whether it was scheduling, encouraging a team member, or reaching out to a customer who has a great result, or making a sale. Anything. We started stacking her wins.
That led to mastery, because she remembered how good she was at what she did. Instead of looking at how far away she was, she looked at how much she was accomplishing, which aligned with mastery, and it is helping her stay motivated.
This is what I do when I find myself in a funk and write down 3 wins per day. I don’t do it all the time, all year round, but I’ll go back to this practice when I find myself overwhelmed and losing motivation. Then when I show up on coaching calls or on videos for the podcast, I show up in a better space aligned with my purpose, autonomy, and mastery.
So I want you to try this, and I want you to reply to me to let me know how it went.
I hope this was helpful for you, and if it was useful- make sure you share it with someone you know who might find it helpful as well.
Have a great day!
P.S. If you want to continue the conversation, then join me for my next Live workshop on November 10th, “How to Create a Vision Board that Will Actually Keep You Motivated”. This is included in our Emerge Surge coaching group and you can join now for two weeks of free access HERE
P.P.S. Not sure of the right next step to take in your business? Book a free focus call where we will chat through your goals and challenges and give you a few free tips to focus on. We can also chat through masterminds and coaching options to help you achieve your goals. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule
*Are you a member of our free Facebook group for committed network marketers who want to have more impact and income? JOIN HERE