Hi, this is Joelle and today I want to talk to you about How to Grow Into Your Identity as a Salesperson and Love What You Do.
I love sales! I think sales is fun! I love coaching people in sales! You may be thinking “I don’t know how I feel about sales but I wouldn’t say it is FUN”, or “my experience with sales was just so-so and that is why I’m reading this blog”.
I’m here to tell you that having fun and loving your role as a salesperson is possible! Believe or not, I didn’t start my sales career thinking this way! Before I get into that story, let me tell you why I think talking about this topic is so important.
As a Sales & Leadership Coach with Emerge, I have the privilege of interacting with and coaching a lot of network marketers.
When we start coaching, we often talk about what they are excited about learning and the skills they want to develop. Many of them say, I fell in love with the product, and I decided to build this business. I am here to gain sales & leadership skills to help me be successful at this. I don’t often hear, “I really wanted to have a career in sales or be a salesperson.” But that is what you are, a salesperson.
I’m going to let that sink in for a minute.
I read an article called “5 Sales Experts Explain Why They Love Selling” and it was really interesting. The article mentions at the very beginning it is possible to have a career in sales without really loving it. But it’s easier to have a long and successful career if you have a passion for it. I know you all love the products that you sell, so a LONG and SUCCESSFUL career would be important, I would imagine.
So let’s talk about some key principles to ignite that passion for this profession and help you grow in your identity as a salesperson.
- Good salespeople are focused on helping buyers solve their problems! When you focus on serving others, people naturally want to do business with you. It is more about how much you give than how much you get.
- You get to meet new people and learn new things from them! I love connecting with new people and hearing about their lives. I get to learn cool things about what it is like to live in different areas. Focus not so much on the act of making that phone call but what cool people could be on the other end of that line.
- In sales you have the ability to build long lasting relationships that build into true friendships! When you meet with someone, think about how it is not just about selling them something. It is about starting to build a relationship with them. Some of the strongest friendships that I have in my life started with me in the role of the salesperson helping to provide a solution to their need or providing a service. Those relationships have stood the test of time!
- Every day brings with it new challenges. I love this part of the job because I like to find better more efficient ways to help more people and to serve them well. It pushes me to be at my best. I know a lot of our students come to us for help because they want to work smarter to help more people, not harder. So instead of looking at the time you have blocked out for prospecting with apprehension, think about the ways you could reach more people in that time.
- It is about the people, not the activities we engage in that propels us forward. It is MORE than just a phone call. It is MORE than just a meeting. Sales is about leading with your heart. I don’t always love the phone, but I love the person on the other end of it. I figure, if the phone has to be in the middle……..so be it!
As I told you in the beginning, I grew into my sales role. My job title at the time I began this journey did not indicate that the role was to sell stuff to people. My perspective was that I was helping people make a decision that would make their lives better.
As my years in the role grew, I grew into my identity as a salesperson. To me being in sales means being of service to others. That is something that I love and something I think is super fun.
If you focus on those key principles I shared, and find which one resonates with you most, I hope it helps you find your salesperson identity and with that comes a long and successful career selling the products that you love!
Thank you so much for today’s post. To sign up for one of our free trainings on closing or recruiting, go to emergesalestraining.com/freetraining.
Have a great day!