If you are wondering if you have what it takes to be a leader, welcome to the club.
It’s normal to see other leaders as confident, having their act together, and knowing what to do.
I used to think as a leader, I needed to know everything about everything. I used to think that if I didn’t have the right strategy or knowledge to give someone the perfect, fool-proof plan that I was somehow letting people down. To watch/listen to this video HERE.
Then I learned that isn’t even remotely true. If you find yourself wondering if you know enough to be a leader, I want you to think about a very important question.
What do YOU want in a leader? I’m guessing that what you want is someone who is there for you, who is a good role model, who encourages you and cares.
I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes by Teddy Roosevelt. “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
So are we good enough to be a leader?
I think great leadership comes with the acceptance that the answer can be yes AND no at the same time.
No, we aren’t good enough to be leaders because ultimately we are still flawed humans.
And YES we are good enough because we are here, showing up.
It’s ok to know that you will make mistakes and improve over time IF you keep showing up.
Research shows that what people ACTUALLY want in a leader is trust, compassion, stability, and hope. The research does not say, “I want my leader to know everything.”
In fact, leaders that “know everything” often struggle because their teams cannot relate to them. “Know it alls” suck out all of the air for others to develop, grow, and take ownership.
Yes, we can add skills and awareness to how we personally show trust, compassion, stability, and hope. In fact, we work with our private clients to understand their unique leadership superpower and help them build skills to make it work.
Even before you figure that out, you already know how to build trust, compassion, stability, and hope.
Here are a few reminders that will help.
- Ask people about their goals and how they will impact their life. This will show trust.
- Check-in from time to time with a quick, “Hey, how are you doing?” Before fixing a problem someone has, ask, “Are you ok?” This shows compassion.
- Set a consistent work schedule for yourself so people know they can count on you to show up. This shows stability.
- Recognize people when they do something right, and encourage them if they are down on themselves. This shows hope.
You may have noticed that the ways to be the leader that people want requires you to be active. Of course, professional development in the leadership space is important. No one is born knowing all that stuff. But you can’t WAIT until you know it all to become a leader.
Recently, I was chatting with a client who got stuck with building her team. Why was it so much easier when she was new to build her team? It’s because today, she wants to show herself as a leader who knows how to help people be successful. That’s noble. But entrepreneurship isn’t a sure thing, it’s an adventure. In the beginning, she would build her team by inviting her friends on an adventure together. The only thing she could promise is that they would figure it out together. How’s that for trust?
You can do this, my friend.
Also, we are here to help. If you are looking for your own encouragement, skill development, and clarity and you are ready to take it to the next level, I want to invite you to join the Emerge Surge- this is our membership group where you will learn, be lifted up, and inspired to grow your business. Learn more at emergesalestraining.com/emergesurge
P.S. A few of us are getting together on Tuesday, February 4th to talk about the 5 tips you need to rock your network marketing business this year. You can grab your spot HERE.
When you are ready, here are a few ways we can work together:
1. Are you ready to have more consistency, more action, and more joy in your business? If your answer is a resounding YES then we invite you to join our Emerge Surge membership group. You can grab the details and learn more HERE or set up a 15-minute call HERE with my business partner Karen to chat about the next right step for you.
2. Order the 2020 Emerge Leadership Planner so you can crush your 2020 goals. Order physical or PDF planner HERE
3. Schedule a free team training- we will set up a zoom training with your team to go through the 5 Keys to Helping Team members make sales a more enjoyable process. Simply send an email to email@example.com to connect and schedule.
4. Work with me and my team privately. If you’d like to work directly with me and my team to take your business to the next level… just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word “Private”… tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you all the details!